Thursday, October 8, 2009

White Bean Chicken Soup

Into the crock pot:
3 chicken breasts, fat trimmed off
3 cups chicken broth
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Cook on low for 6 hours.  Shred chicken and return to crock pot with juices

Add:
2T lime juice
2 tsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 cans great northwestern beans, drained and rinsed
2 C frozen corn
cook on low for 1 more hour

Serve with:
crushed tortilla chips
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream.

Serves 6-8
Sorry, no picture this time. We ate it all before I thought to get the camera out.
**Dad even ate this!! Two bowls of it actually!!

6 comments:

Vennesa said...

Then it MUST be good!

Jacque said...

I am making this today I am just missing cilantro! I figured the nutrtion info. (I couldn't find nutrition info for Red pepper flakes though) anyway here it is:

Nutrition Facts
White Bean Chicken Soup
6 Servings

Calories 289.1

Total Fat 2.8 g

Saturated Fat 1.0 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.2 g

Cholesterol 70.9 mg

Sodium 885.3 mg

Potassium 992.3 mg

Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g

Dietary Fiber 7.6 g

Sugars 0.6 g

Protein 36.8 g


Vitamin A 3.1 %

Vitamin B-12 11.7 %

Vitamin B-6 41.3 %

Vitamin C 15.6 %

Vitamin D 0.0 %

Vitamin E 1.5 %

Calcium 9.7 %

Copper 21.8 %

Folate 32.2 %

Iron 23.3 %

Magnesium 23.5 %

Manganese 43.9 %

Niacin 86.6 %

Pantothenic Acid 16.3 %

Phosphorus 49.3 %

Riboflavin 15.7 %

Selenium 40.1 %

Thiamin 17.0 %

Zinc 14.9 %

Chelle said...

So, how did it turn out for you Jac? Was it ok with different seasonings?

Vennesa said...

Yeah Jac. How did it turn out. I was thinking about buying some white beans just so I can make this.

Vennesa said...

Here's how I made it: I used 2 cans of chicken broth instead of 3 cups. I used frozen chicken tenders (6 of them) and cooked them on hi for half the time. Then 1 can beans and no cilantro. The chips are a MUST. It was very good.

Vennesa said...

Me again. This time I added all the beans. It took me a year to work up to it because I was a bean hater. But it was good, and I didn't need the chips, cheese or the sour cream. Everyone who would try it liked it.