9 C. sugar
1 C. cornstarch
4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. almond extract
2 tsp. salt
20 C. water
6 Tbs. lemon juice (plus 1/4 c)
6 drops yellow food coloring
12 lbs apples; peeled, cored and sliced (I like to use Gala)
Place apple slices in a large bowl with 1/4 cup lemon juice. toss to coat. Meanwhile,in a LARGE pot blend sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg and almond extract. Stir in 20 cups of water. Cook over medium heat stirring often until thick and bubbly. Add 6Tbs. lemon juice and food coloring. Pack apples into quart size jars leaving 1 inch head space. Fill jars with hot syrup leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe mouth of jar and place lids and rings on. Process in water bath 25 minutes, making sure at least 1 inch of water is over the top of the jars.
Makes about 12 quarts.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
How many jars of this did you do? Did you get a good start on your food storage?
I'm impressed!
(btw- my word verification for this comment is "vownessi". Sounds like a new nickname..... Just kidding. I don't want to be killed.
It made about 13 jars. I had extra "goo" left over so I bottled that too! I'm sure I can use it with peaches or pears!! If I could stop eating it I could put it in our food storage! :)
Post a Comment