Friday, January 8, 2010

Chocolate Oat Squares



1 cup plus 2 TB butter, softened, divided
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
4 tsp vanilla, divided
3 cups quick-cooking oats
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp baking soda
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In mixing bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine oats, flour, 1 tsp salt, and baking soda. Stir into creamed mixture. Press 2/3 of the oat mixture into a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan.
In sauce pan, combine s.c. milk, chocolate chips, remaining 2 tsp butter and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and add 2 tsp vanilla.
Spread over the oat crust. Sprinkle w/ remaining oat mixture. Bake 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and cut into squares.
Original recipe came from Taste of Home magazine November 2000 and contained 1 cup chopped walnuts.

3 comments:

Vennesa said...

These aren't exactly healthy, but I did use whole wheat flour and butter (instead of margarine). Hope you like 'em.

Chelle said...

We liked 'em!! I'm going to go up and grab a glass of milk and another one! Thanks for the food tonight! It was all yummy. The kids thought the bread was the best part!

Rachel said...

I made these last night, and Matt and I both loved them! That's saying something since Matt won't go anywhere near oatmeal!