Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry over brown rice

Ingredients:
Canola oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped or pressed
2-3 chicken breasts, chopped
9 cups TOTAL of the following vegetables. Or whatever you like.
carrots, broccoli, green onions, crookneck squash, mushrooms, zucchini, snap peas and cabbage
6 TB chicken or vegetable broth
5 TB soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
Cooked brown rice. About 4 cups when cooked.


Start with the sauce:  Mix together the chicken broth, soy sauce and corn starch.  Set aside for later.
Then get your rice cooking.  I add the rest of the can of broth to my rice in place of some of the cooking water.

Pour a couple tablespoons oil into a heated wok.  Cook and stir your chopped chicken along with the garlic.  When chicken is no longer pink inside, take it out of the wok and keep warm.

Add a little more oil to the wok and stir fry the veggies for about 3 minutes. You can add little water or chicken broth if they start to stick.  Then pour on your sauce and stir it in.  Cover and cook at medium heat until veggies are as tender as you like.  Add the chicken back in and heat through.

Serve over brown rice.

Serves 6
You can adjust this recipe to fit your family by using less (or more) vegetables and rice.
Most of your time is spent in cooking the rice and chopping the vegetables. I'll chop them earlier in the day so I can cook this up pretty quickly at dinner time.

4 comments:

Chelle said...

YUM!!!!

Jacque said...

So do you use minute rice for your brown rice or not? Stir fry looks tasty.

Vennesa said...

No, I use the real deal on the brown rice. Which is why I have to get it started first while I chop everything.
I don't like the taste of brown minute rice so much.

Jaime said...

I made this for dinner tonight. Delish! I used minute brown rice because I don't believe in cooking rice for an hour. It was good!